Thrifty goodness, part 3

More of the fun finds from the last couple of weeks' worth of thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales and antique store bargains (also check out part 1 and part 2):
This little metal container, the size of a hotel bar of soap, with a sweet floral etching on the front.
An ostrich feather fan -- you don't see these too often!
These are fun and useful (and, well used!) -- a set of drawing scales rulers...
in just a great old box with label.
This is a fancy desk Social Secretary; it has a leather-like cover with great embossing (and love the color!)
 It came in its original box, and had plenty of paper left inside to use!
I also found this cute red leather-bound traveling chess set.  It's clever, really, with tiny slots to hold its thick paper chess pieces!
I was very attracted to the old leather coin purses I found at an estate sale; they were so well-used and have so much character...
and great metal closures.  I also found a pretty, soft leather collar box:
I think it makes a dainty purse!  It's currently in my Etsy shop.
A great dresser-top box, with red detailing that I think might be Bakelite!
Some sweet children's tea party dishes, and some tin items to use in crafts.
I found the transfers on the plates just irresistible!
More pretty china and glassware -- these from our annual community garage sale (above); the painted milk glass pitcher is unlike anything I normally buy, but I thought it was charming and the garage sale was for charity.  The tiny sugar-bowl-shaped salt is turning purple.
But, this was my favorite find, for $2, at a garage sale.  It's a covered dish, for cheese or butter, in green transfer-ware with wonderful crazing!
I collect pottery from this era, and thought this diamond-shaped planter was lovely and unusual.
I always love dishes like this one, with the embossed edges.  It's not real old, and I think it might be either a change bowl or a wine coaster.  At least, that's what I'll be using it for!
I bought this kitschy hanging bar lamp at a garage sale -- it is in remarkable condition!  It's also now in my shop...
as is this wonderful Georges Briard-designed, 3 piece covered casserole dish!  I love the bird and leaf/flower motif, in gold and teal!
Now I'm off to look at what everyone else has found at Her Library Adventures!

Comments

Beth Leintz said…
Oh Laurie, you've got a good looking haul. I'm in love with those coin purses and the transferware. Someone told me that the glass that is turning purple is made with a chemical that reacts to the sun, so the longer it is in the sun, the more purple it gets. Kind of weird way to tan....they called it "sun purple glass".
Dee in N.H. said…
Great finds!! I went tag saling this weekend for a bit but didn't get anything great. Dh got a couple more old David Bradley tractors so it wasn't a total loss. LOL!
Dee in N.H. said…
Great finds!! I went tag saling this weekend for a bit but didn't get anything great. Dh got a couple more old David Bradley tractors so it wasn't a total loss. LOL!
Unknown said…
O.K. hand over the dresser box and the cheese dish and no one gets hurt! So cool. I have been trying not to go out since my return from Italy, but you just put me over the edge. Maybe I can squeeze in a few thrift stores for a little memorial day fun? Ugh, I have given in to the Dark Side! Great finds Laurie!
Kathy said…
Great finds! And bravo to you for taking the pictures AFTER the cleaning and sorting - LOL!
That little green planter is just the perfect color.
autena said…
You have a great eye and the photos make everything special.
My father worked at Schenley Distillery in the 1950s!
Linda said…
lots of fun and some unusual finds.
Wow love all of your finds. Looks like you got lots of treasures. visiting you from www.thepickinpair.blogspot.com and now following you as well.
Wow love all of your finds. Looks like you got lots of treasures. visiting you from www.thepickinpair.blogspot.com and now following you as well.
Maggie said…
eegads, what great stuff!!
Unknown said…
Fun stuff....I go out and I just dont find stuff like this....Now at home in Oregon I do...I think it is because lds folks hang onto their heritage and when they do sell, they put a high price on it where in other areas it is just junk.
Your treasures are simply fabulous, as always, dear Laurie. I can't get over the covered dish for $2!!!
But, I think my favorite is the Social Secretary...growing up my mom was famous for saying that I needed a Social Secretary ~ imagine the day and age when they used one!!
xoxo
Karen

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth